Search This Blog

Saturday, March 13, 2010

Things that have kept me going...

With all of the items on my bad list, here are some delicious ideas that have kept me sane:
1. Frozen grapes. I discovered this when I moved to Missouri in high school. Maybe it is a southern thing? Frozen grapes are a great dessert and don't need any added sugar.
2. Smoothies. Everyone loves smoothies. I typically use a tropical frozen fruit blend from Whole Foods Market (the 365 brand includes strawberries, mangos, and bananas). I add the whole package to a blender with soy milk, SoDelicious plain soy yogurt, and either kale or spinach. Adding greens to the smoothie may seem gross but I tried a sample of it before finding out there were hidden greens inside and couldn't tell. It is sad that I have to play tricks on myself but one salad a day seems like enough to me. I try to get in a serving of greens at dinner too but the smoothie is a good trick.
3. Dark chocolate. It feels like a reward and it isn't terrible for you. The regular bar comes with 18 little squares (6 rows of 3) so I eat three for dessert if I have really deserved it.
4. Whole Foods garden salad- don't forget to switch the dressing to a healthy oil free balsamic but this salad has been a great source of daily veggies and is colorful enough to not feel like punishment.
5. Salsa. I am basically putting salsa on everything. It adds moisture, flavor, and spice to everything.
6. Support. People at work, friends, family, and my partner have been incredibly supportive. I get recipe ideas, a few have decided to eat what I cook, and one even took the time to make a meal for all of us that fit my restrictions (thanks MG!) We have been to more vegan cafes in two weeks than I have in the four years since moving to Chicago. The positive energy has been incredibly helpful.
Only two more weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment